The Silk Road: Group Project
Social Studies: World History 7th Grade
7.3 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the civilizations of China in the Middle Ages.
- Describe agricultural, technological, and commercial developments during the Tang and Sung periods.
- Understand the importance of both overland trade and maritime expeditions between China and other civilizations in the Mongol Ascendancy and Ming Dynasty.
EDpuzzle: The Silk Road: A Virtual Tourhttps://edpuzzle.com/assignments/5e53f72de5b91d40fa41338f/watch
Website: China Highlights https://www.chinahighlights.com/silkroad/significance.htm
Summary/Task:Students have already covered some important aspects of trade, achievements, and the culture of China. Now they will link China to the rest of the world explaining the importance of the Silk Road. They will watch a brief EDpuzzle on virtual tour of the Silk Road. Then they will need to take notes on the Website article Why China's Silk Road Is So Significant — 10 Reasons that Changed the World
that was given to them about the significance of the Silk Road. After they have the background knowledge they will create a group poster explaining all of the following:
- Must have a map and description of some of the cities along the Silk Road
- Include an explanation of what The Silk Road was and why was it called that?
- Explain where it was and explain the route?
- What is the purpose?
- Who traveled along the route (include Marco Polo)?
- Why was it important?
- How did it change the world?
- What might happen as a result of the new Silk Road (Belt and Road Initiative)—compare/contrast them
- Include 3 sentences about what you found interesting, exciting, or new about The Silk Road
- Make them colorful and neat