CHINESE DRAGON ACHIEVEMENT/ADVANCEMENT PROJECT FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL
Time: approx 1 week
A rationale for the proposed unit
Rationale: Students will have knowledge of the Chinese inventions/achievements of the Medieval time period and how they changed the world. For example, gunpowder was used for fireworks but then was used for weaponry and changed warfare forever.
Skill and content objectives according to your state or district standards o Identify which of these is addressed by your lesson plans.
○ 7.3 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the civilizations of China in the Middle Ages.
○ 5. Trace the historic influence of such discoveries as tea, the manufacture of paper, woodblock printing, the compass, and gunpowder.
○ Construction paper
Detailed lesson plans
○ I will first show them a Mankind: Story of All of Us clip to introduce such achievements as silk and gunpowder. They will then watch a short video EDpuzzle: Journals through History to get an overview of some of them as well as their importance. Students will be able to relate the achievement/invention to the importance that it plays in the world today.
○ After they have answered the questions on the EDpuzzle they will take notes (see attached) 5 complete facts and a picture example for each invention/achievement. They will use the article titled “Chinese Invention Article” as well as the Textbook pages attached.
○ They will need to fill in the following chart discussing at least 5 complete facts about the achievement/invention, how it changed the world, and include a picture example
○ After they have the knowledge they will be put into groups of 4 people and have to create a Chinese Dragon that includes all of the inventions/achievements- they will need to design a dragon together, they will need to choose colors based on their meaning in Chinese culture. They will then add their illustration and description to the dragon and complete the project. These will be displayed in the classroom
○ See students examples attached
○ A plan for assessing student achievement
○ Students will be assessed on their ability to complete the project
○ Students will be assessed on their knowledge of the
achievement/inventions and how it changed the world
○ They will be assessed on creativity and effort on their finished
dragon, along with their detailed explanation of each achievement/advancements
○ Mankind: Gunpowder- video clip
○ EDpuzzle: Journals Through History: China EDpuzzle with questions
○ Chinese Inventions Article - information
Notes and worksheet
Directions for Chinese Dragon Project
Example: Chinese Dragon Achievements Project