2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ricardo Reyes
Topic replies: 30
Topic Posts: 3
Ricardo Reyes's picture
Confucius, the 2009 life story, directed by Mei Hu and starring Yun-Fat Chow

Chinese Philosophy

The thick reading and instructor led dialogue left me feeling in complete wonderment. The following night, I watched non-stop the movie, Confucius, the 2009 life story of Confucius directed by Mei Hu and starring Yun-Fat Chow, a recognizable actor. This biographical drama film blended the complex politics and war as Confucius as a political rising star was promoted from mayor to Minister for Law in his home state of Lu. His mixture of philosophy, respectfullness, and adroit handling of sophistry posed by clever competitors and opponents facilitated his rise to the level of worship by his supporters and even the emperor. That is, until one day the Emperor brings dishonor to Confucius by denying him a traditional holiday feast and presented a parted (broken in two) jade amulet. Confucius embarks dejectedly into a wondering journey of survival which grows as his followers surround him thereby forming a roving academy as they seek shelter, security from threats, and the eternal search for truth and wisdom. For more than fourteen years of devotion to his teachings, he is welcomed back into his homeland which has been all but demolished through rivalries and chaos. He establishes his academy and only requests he be allowed to teach. The observance of his 2,560 birthday was commemorated one year later with the release of this film in 2010. 

My personal reaction is that my world was bereft of his greatness and profound influence on the world since his passing. I always considered him to have  been an itinerant philosopher whose sayings are more apropos for fortune cookies than at the very core of human history and thinking. I have opened up a pure admiration for learning much more about Confucius and his philosophies. 

Ricardo Reyes
Topic replies: 30
Topic Posts: 3
Ricardo Reyes's picture
Empresses of the Palace

It was suggested to watch two minutes of this Chinese series. Well, I have made it through the 3rd series of the first part and hooked. This period piece series transports me to that era and the last imperial dynasty in China ruled by the Manchurian ethnicity. They ruled strong handed over the Han people. The concubines, harm, and royal court are portrayed in fine detail and a convincing dialogue. The intriguing drama of conceit, deceit, envy, and skulduggery is very captivating. Most of the scenes are within the royal palace and the epic historical events are referenced sparingly. The emphasis is on the power machinations of a female dominated cast with the emperor seemingly in control although he at times loses his cool and resorts to power tantrums. Check this series out as you might go binge watching soon enough.