You are here

Bali in 2005

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Bali in 2005

I just returned from spending a month in Ubud, Bali, and wanted to share some impressions. It is a beautiful country with green to be seen everywhere. The traditional arts and crafts are in abundance, and the rituals and offerings related to their Hindu religion is firmly entrenched in their daily lives. Gamelan music could be heard throughout the day and night, it seemed. My girlfriend is a gamelan musician here in L.A., so I had the opportunity to attend many performances. What struck both of us is how their playing is less performance, and more religious, especially since most of the playing took place on temple grounds.
Bali is still struggling with their economy since the Kuta bombing, and this is unfortunately everpresent in the discrepancy between the natives and tourist/ex-pats. There are wonderful restaurants with food choices galore, but they are filled with foreigners. The locals are either serving customers or trying to act as taxis with the ever present "Transport? Transport?" offers.
I've included a photograph of an old woman with her cow just minutes from a major tourist area.
If you are interested in seeing an online photo album of 110 of my pics from Bali and Japan, email me at: ed@shorer.com and I'll send you a link.
Ed.

clay dube
Topic replies: 1895
Topic Posts: 604
Message from Clay Dube

Hi Ed,
Please do use the "attach" button to upload a few of your photos. I imagine many would love to see a few and then check out the full array at your website.

I'd also welcome some discussion of attitudes in Bali, perhaps comparing the gov't's response to the tsunami with its response to the Bali bombing of three years ago. Also, since you left, there's been big news about the long standing rebellion in Aceh. I wonder what Balinese think about these developments.

Aso, perhaps you might share a few photos in the Japan 2005 thread as well. You weren't part of this year's trip, but as it happens, you also visited Japan this summer and you certainly know a couple of the participants.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from eshorer

Pic didn't upload last time...... try try again!
An Old Woman just a few min. from a popular tourist area.