Asia Society Southern California
Asia Society was founded 64 years ago by John D. Rockefeller 3rd on the tenacious belief that forging genuine understanding across cultures unlocks the potential for a peaceful and sustainable world. Asia Society Southern California is one of 13 Centers worldwide working to advance our mission by galvanizing people who see themselves as members of our global community and want to work with us to build bridges of understanding at this critical moment in history.
We are looking for an exceptional individual who shares our vision and can advance the foundation built by Asia Society Southern California – especially mobilizing entertainment, media, technology, and sports-business leaders in Southern California’s vibrant multicultural community. The position requires a selfstarter who combines creative strategic planning and outreach with meticulous attention to the implementation of programs. The ideal candidate will bring a portfolio of contacts and development experience to help build a strong funding
base to expand the Center’s activities.
- Oversee the development and execution of public and private programs that advance Asia Society’s mission across a range of topics and Asia’s geographic diversity
- Signature programs: 1) Execute the major fundraising activity, the Annual Gala Dinner; 2) Enhance the U.S.-Asia Entertainment Summit; 3) Build the initiative, AWE (Asian Women Empowered) - women in media, entertainment and technology, into a signature series; 4) Develop other program topics with potential to be signature initiatives, such as the U.S.-Asia Sports Business Forum
- Help build a strong Advisory Board
- Work with the Center’s Advisory Board to finalize a Strategic Plan that is aligned with Asia Society’s Five-Year Strategic Plan that refines the Center’s mission and vision and lays out a road map to 1) build the Advisory Board, 2) facilitate expansion by raising funds from companies, foundations and individuals and 3) expand the membership base
- Cultivate institutional partnerships with community, national and international organizations to raise the Center’s profile and impact and grow the audience, especially among key Asian communities in Southern California and emerging leaders in a broad array of fields
- Develop and manage the Center’s annual budget, membership initiatives and marketing/branding activities
- Recruit, develop and manage the Center’s staff
- Represent the Center in the community and throughout the global Asia Society network
- Maintain a strong and effective working relationship with the Northern California Center and other Centers to leverage Asia Society resources
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience living/working in Asia is preferred, though not required, as is proficiency in one or more Asian languages.
- Experience in nonprofit management, including fundraising, institution building, board development and stewardship, and membership acquisition and retention, is preferred, though not required
- Marketing and public relations experience is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills for effective engagement with senior executives at target and constituent organizations. Strong team builder and leader with the ability to find, develop and retain talent
- Strong and effective oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work effectively and successfully across diverse cultures
- Ability to work collaboratively with other nonprofit organizations and to establish partnerships
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to nimbly juggle and prioritize multiple tasks
- Advanced degree in relevant field is preferred, as is seven to 10 years of related work experience
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite of products, including Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform and automated social media marketing tools is highly desired
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Asia Society Southern California will provide a competitive base salary, commensurate with experience, and generous benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: Christopher Lawrence, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. List job code 2010 and job title in the subject line.