A food safety factory shutdown has Americans hunting for baby formula. Readying themselves for a covid-19 lockdown, Chinese in Beijing emptied store shelves. Emerging from lockdown, some in Shanghai are visiting well-provisioned markets. U.S.-China agricultural trade is booming, but many are still being left hungry. Food security, sustainability and safety remain issues.
Blakemore Freeman Fellowships, 2022-2023 (Deadline: December 30, 2021)
The fellowships are awarded to graduating seniors, college graduates, graduate students and young/mid-career professionals who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States, who are already at or near an advanced level in the language and ready to advance to professional fluency. The grants are highly competitive; we anticipate awarding grants to around 5% of applicants.
● Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Yokohama
● International Chinese Language Program at National Taiwan University
● Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies at Tsinghua University
● Seoul National University, Sogang University and other language programs in South Korea
In addition to Chinese, Japanese and Korean, Blakemore Freeman Fellowships are also available for advanced language study in:
● Thailand ● Vietnam ● Indonesia ● Cambodia ● Myanmar