Thanks to generous Freeman Foundation support, the USC U.S. – China Institute (USCI) and the National Consortium for Teaching About Asia (NCTA) are offering a NO-COST professional development opportunity open to all interested K-12 educators.
Enrollment is limited to 24 participants and priority will be given to high school world history and language arts teachers, though all K-12 educators are invited to apply. Sessions will meet at Pasadena Unifed School District's Education Center (see address below) on seven Monday evenings from 4:00 to 7:00 pm and two Saturday sessions. Free parking and refreshments are provided.
Individuals who successfully complete the seminar and its follow-up requirements receive:
- $200 in East Asian reference and teaching materials
- $500 stipend OR Two (2) PUSD/LAUSD multicultural salary points OR six (6) USC Rossier School of Education Continuing Units (CEUs), fee applicable
Among the topics covered in the seminar:
- Geography / Premodern China, Japan, and Korea (philosophy, social structure, key institutions)
- 19th Century Domestic and External Challenges
- War, Revolution, and Nation-Making
- Economic Development and Social / Cultural Change
- Relations with the United States
- 21st Century Challenges and Opportunities
- Web Research / Web Collaboration
To Apply, please Download the USCI/NCTA Spring 2012 "East Asia from Origins to 1800" Seminar at Pasadena application form.
In addition to the completed application form, you will need to submit:
- A short 1-2 page resume (curriculum vita) listing your educational and work experience
- A letter from your school principal confirming your teaching assignment
- A refundable deposit check for $50, made payable to "University of Southern California," to hold your registration; the check will be returned to you at the conclusion of the seminar
*Still Accepting Applications for Session #2 (April 16, 2012)
Please join us in Pasadena on April 16 at 4:00 PM if you are interested!
For additional information, please contact 213-821-4382 or <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Pasadena USD's Education Center
Lower Level Conference Room (LLC)
351 S. Hudson Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91101
***A map of the location can be found here.
The LLC is located on the basement level, at the south end of the building. Best parking is in the southwest lot, with entrances on Oak Knoll.
Seminar Schedule (Tentative):
Session #1: Monday, April 9, 2012 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Session #2: Monday, April 16, 2012 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Session #3/4: Saturday, April 21, 2012 from 8:30am to 12:30pm
(this session will be held at USC)
Session #5: Monday, April 23, 2012 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Session #6: Monday, April 30, 2012 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Session #7: Monday, May 7, 2012 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Session #8: Monday, May 14, 2012 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Session #9/10: Saturday, May 19, 2012 from 8:30am to 4:00pm
Session #11: Monday, May 21, 2012 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm