Foreword by Janet Yellen
Duke in China
Duke in China was inaugurated in 1982 and is one of the longest-running credit-granting programs in China administered by an American university. Based at the prestigious University of International Business and Economics in Beijing (UIBE), the program offers an intensive (two credits for 8 or 10 weeks of study) summer language program based in Beijing. UIBE is located in the Chaoyang District of Beijing, which is convenient to downtown, and has a modern, well-designed, picturesque campus. Rated as one of the top universities in China according to the Ministry of Education, UIBE is an academic institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching and research in the fields of international trade, business, and economics.
- Choose between the intensive language track (8 weeks) or business Chinese track with practicum (10 weeks)
- Teacher-Student ratio of 1:3
- Language pledge
- Language partner program
- Task-based learning activities
- Weekend excursions to the Great Wall and other sites in and around Beijing
- Mid-term program-sponsored trip to another part of China, usually Xi’an Language, Films, and Society class for all levels
More information can be found here.
China and the state of California have built deep and interdependent socioeconomic exchanges that reverberate across the globe, and these interactions make California a microcosm of the most important international relationship of the twenty-first century. In his book, journalist Matt Sheehan chronicles the real people who are making these connections.