A number of states have enacted laws prohibiting Chinese and others from “countries of concern” from purchasing homes or land.
East Asia since 1800 (Fall 2023)
This seminar is intended for all k-12 educators eager to bring more of East Asian history and culture to their students. It also explores what makes the region so dynamic and important today. This accredited seminar is complimentary for qualified teachers. This seminar is completely online. It includes recorded lectures, assigned readings and live discussion sessions via Zoom. You can view seminar requirements here.
This seminar is supported by the Freeman Foundation and the Japan Society. It is offered in partnership with is the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia. It is primarily intended for teachers in California and neighboring states though others may apply. Apply via the form below.
- demographic change and the role of geography and the natural environment
- economic, social, cultural and technological developments within East Asia
- exchanges within and beyond East Asia
- challenges from within and from the West
- war, revolution and nation-making
- China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, North and South Korea, and Japan today
- the region's influence on and responses to global trends
- evolving ties with the United States
- Video presentations & readings
- Mandatory online forum participation
- Online discussions with an instructor
- 6 Continuing Education Units (processing fee applicable)
- Certificate of completion (no charge)
- Resources and materials
- Priority enrollment in the future book clubs and other programs
The course is sponsored by the USC U.S.-China Institute and the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia. Funding from the Freeman Foundation enables us to offer the seminar.
Questions? Please write to email@example.com.
This schedule includes the live online discussion sessions. Each one will have corresponding video lectures, reading assignments, and forum participation that will be accessible online ahead of time. Participants can miss up to three (3) sessions and still be eligible to receive the benefits by submitting makeup assignments. Please note that Saturdays count as two separate sessions.
All listed times are Pacific.
Chinese companies are among the world's largest video game firms. They are on the move in some of the fastest growing markets.
Throughout its history, the Chinese Communist Party has sought to dictate what is written and taught about its past. And some have always found ways to offer a fuller picture of what they and others have experienced.