This issue of the USC US-China Institute's Talking Points newsletter highlights auto industry links between the U.S. and China. It also includes our comprehensive calendar of China-focused events and exhibitions across North America.
Secrets of the Sea: A Tang Shipwreck and Early Trade in Asia
Asia Society hosts a keynote address by scholar Regina Krahl on the eve of a daylong symposium co-organized with Columbia University. This landmark symposium represents the first academic gathering in the United States to present a comprehensive review of the cargo of the Belitung shipwreck and the maritime trade routes of the ninth century with a view to broadening the understanding of the profound cultural significance of the find.
- Bryan Averbuch, CUNY
- Dora Ching, P.Y. and Kinmay W. Tang Center for East Asian Art at Princeton University (moderator)
- John Guy, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Derek Heng, Northern Arizona University and the Nalanda-Sriwijaya Center, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (Singapore)
- François Louis, Bard Graduate Center
- Victor Mair, University of Pennsylvania
- Adriana Proser, Asia Society Museum, New York (moderator)
- Liu Yang, The Minneapolis Institute of Art
The Thanksgiving 2017 issue of Talking Points reviews Chinese doubts about the taste of turkey, TV pioneer Joyce Chen, and offers two poems. And we offer our comprehensive calendar of China-focused events and exhibitions across North America.