William Overholt argues that as China reaches a threshold where success has eliminated the conditions that enabled miraculous growth, Xi Jinping is pursuing the riskiest political strategy of any important national leader. Alternative outcomes include continued impressive growth and political stability, Japanese-style stagnation, and a major political-economic crisis.
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Critical Translation Studies (Deadline: Jan 1, 2018)
The Department of Comparative Literature at the University of Michigan announces a two-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Critical Translation Studies. The fellowship is funded by the College of Literature, Science and the Arts to provide a candidate with the opportunity to pursue independent scholarship related to translation, gain teaching experience, and engage with interdisciplinary translation initiatives across the university.
- Fellows must hold a PhD in a humanities discipline or in the humanistic social sciences.
- Applicants must be scholars who are not yet tenured and who are within 3 years of having received their PhD at an institution other than the University of Michigan.
- To be eligible for this competition, the degree must be received between August 2015 and August 2018.
- Applicants who do not yet hold a PhD but expect to file their final thesis prior to the starting date of the fellowship must provide a letter from their home institution (department chair, head of graduate studies, or advisor) confirming the degree award schedule.
- Selected recipients may not hold another fellowship simultaneous with this one.
Our "Finding Solutions" conference focused on the work of individuals, companies, and NGOs addressing some of China’s most pressing challenges. We had a large and diverse audience participate. Videos coming soon!
Symposium sponsored by the Grassroots Diplomacy Council and the USC U.S.-China Institute
The USC U.S.-China Institute presents a discussion on American and Chinese aims and tactics in the US-China trade war as well as its impact and potential costs.