Dear NCTA program alumni:
We are very excited to announce that the IU East Asian Studies Center will be organizing a study tour to South Korea, Wednesday, June 12th to Saturday, June 29th 2019 (tentatively). NCTA alumni from all sites with a minimum of 30 hours of NCTA professional development are eligible to apply, but preference will be given to applicants who have not previously participated in an NCTA study tour.
The 15 day trip will begin in the South Korean capital, Seoul, and continue on to sites of major cultural, historical, and artistic importance (including 3 UNESCO World Heritage Sites). Our tentative itinerary includes stops in Jeonju, Gwangju, Boseong, Busan, Ulsan, Gyeongju, and Andong, where participants will engage in a variety of hands-on learning experiences. Teachers will also have the opportunity to meet and interact with Korean educators, students, and other professionals.
You are eligible to apply if you:
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 30 hours of NCTA programming offered by any NCTA site.
- Teach about Korea as part of a formal teaching assignment OR demonstrate a clear commitment to incorporating Korea into your curriculum.
- Are a minimum of 5 years from retirement at time of study tour
- Have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience at time of study tour and intend to continue teaching for at least 3 years post-tour.
- Are in good physical health
- Have a high level of cultural sensitivity and respect for social norms and customs not your own.
The following expenses will be subsidized by EASC:
- Roundtrip airfare to South Korea (Incheon) from a major US international airport (TBA).
- Lodging, some meals, in-country activity fees, and travel expenses within South Korea.
- Books, readings, and curriculum materials for all aspects of the study tour.
The following expenses will be borne by participants:
- $1000 toward the total cost of individual participation. This amount is due in two installments: $500 upon accepting a spot on the study tour (around March 22nd, 2019) and the remaining $500 by April 30th, 2019. *Please note: These amounts are **non-refundable**
- Travel to and from your residence and the international departure airport (TBA)
- Passport application/renewal fees (if necessary). *Please note: visas are not required for American citizens for visits to South Korea shorter than 90 days.
- Travel insurance.
- Overseas medical coverage (Applicants should check with their insurance provider for particulars, as coverage is often available as part of a travel insurance policy. Participants will be asked to furnish proof of medical insurance and a travel policy that includes emergency medical evacuation insurance or to purchase a travel policy that includes medical insurance and emergency medical evacuation insurance.)
- Immunizations (if needed)
- Meals not included in the tour and other daily personal purchases (such as bottled water and snacks, laundry, international phone calls, souvenirs etc.) and personal travel during free time or beyond the dates of the study tour.
- Costs incurred by variation from the group airfare package, such as emergency return to the U.S. or return to the U.S. via a different route from the group package.
To apply, please complete the following steps:
1) Complete the online application available at https://easc.indiana.edu/machform/view.php?id=13023
2) Provide one letter of recommendation from your principal or department chair. Letters can be sent directly from your recommender to email@example.com, subject line: 2019 EASC South Korea Study Tour. All letters must be received by the deadline.
Applications will be evaluated on the thoughtfulness and depth of essay responses; potential for curriculum impact; strength of recommendation letter; and consideration for a diverse tour group.
The deadline for submission is February 28, 2019, 11:59pm EST. Applications received after this date will NOT be considered.
Please contact the East Asian Studies Center at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We look forward to receiving your application!