You are here

Tokyo Story Film Review (1953)

1 post / 0 new
Akunna Uka
Topic replies: 21
Topic Posts: 5
Akunna Uka's picture
Tokyo Story Film Review (1953)

You cannot be a good son from the grave....

Tokyo Story takes place about a decade after WWII in Japan, yet has universal themes that any audience in 2018 can relate to. Ozu, the director, explores the disappointment in the "modern" family. Although grandparents sacrified and hoped for their children to do well, they are not repaid in their old age. 

Scenes of domestic life feature prominently with noticeably long shots focusing on white clothes drying on a clothesline and women sweeping and preparing meals. The first instance of a grandson being rude and a disappointment is while his mother is cleaning the home before the grandparents arrive. The grandson throws a fit over his desk being moved to make room for his grandparents even though his mother points out that he doesn't study anyway. Once the grandparents arrive, it is clear that his behavior is not an anomaly because his little brother runs away when his grandmother attemps to greet him and tells him to come. Later, the boys display disrespectful behavior again when their grandfather visits a patient and cancels plans to take them and the grandparents to the department store. The older brother refuses to go on a walk with the grandmother. The younger boy goes, but he ignores his grandmother while they walk in a field. Although the grandparents don't say anyting, they make note of the children's behavior. Unfortunately, the children are not much better. 

I have at least 5 examples of the adult children being selfish, but I won't give away the details here. 

This film was recommended to me by a film teacher at my school and analyzed by a professor during the summer institute. The film is important to film history, but is also an enjoyable watch.