You are here

Olympics 2008

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Olympics 2008

Forgive any misspelled names as I didn't have internet for a while and have to post at the library; I'm on a time limit. Sorry.

The opening Olympic Ceremony, in Beijing, China, was spectacular and exquisite. This opening had to be something the world would be talking about for a long time because not the entire world shares a positive image of China. China had to create a self image to cover up the 5 million that are homeless due to the earthquake, and facts that ½ billion people survive on $2.00 a day, while there is ½ billion that live in wealth. It is a country where the few rule the many, where protest is not welcome and rulers believe in control. It is a country that has cause friction with its neighbor, Tibet and its beliefs, and trying to make what has been important in religious following disappear in Tibet. China creates an image of racing into the future but on its own terms.

With 91 thousand spectators and the TV world watching, 11 thousand athletes, 15 thousand performers had to light up China as the center of the earth. Jung Yi Mon, spent 300 million dollars to make this all happen and what a wonderful job he did. He did the riskiest thing he’s ever done, MuShu. The amazing theme of the “Bird’s Nest”(represented) housed a delicate and impressive ceremony.

It was interesting to see the Chinese President, Fu Ching Tao, walk in with other men, and shortly after his wife entered. The contrast of the US President, George Bush, who walking in with Mrs. Bush, side-by-side. On the way in, they spoke and shook hands with people, probably dignitaries. President Tao didn’t shake hands with anyone and very few sat next to him probably generals.

Then it became dark, and all of the sudden 2008 drummers take the beat, drumming on 2008 drums that are from the ancient, that lit up the countdown. Suddenly, fireworks going off in city blocks from old Beijing to the new Beijing. The five Olympic interconnecting circles represent the five continents but Yi Mon found a way to use that and connect it to China. The Olympic Circles also symbolize peace in Buddhism and were lifted from the floor into the air.

56 children continued to light up the arena representing the 56 ethnic groups of China and were dressed in native ethnic clothing. Average children were chosen from art school. Then soldiers marched in with the flag that represented that the government would guarantee the stability for children. “March for the Volunteers,” China’s national anthem, began to play. Of course more fireworks went off.

Modern technology and Yi Mon’s skill and creativity were put together to create a scroll that opened up on the floor. This scroll was an LED screen that was 230 feet long by 70 feet wide. In the center of it, dancers came in and with dancing motions painted a Shen Shuaw painting. It is a painting of mountains and water that shows harmony between them. The dancer's body movements expressed the brush movement in harmony with the Chinese people.

The bamboo scrolls, the wooden blocks, articulated Confucian thought again representing harmony in China. The announcers were very open and critical during the ceremony, at this time he made a comment that China is not in harmony. Drops of water began to fall on the screen representing Daoism, expressing stillness. Then the wooden blocks going up and down in some areas formed the Great Wall. Quickly they fell and were replaced with flowers showing openness to the world. During this wooden block performance, the Chinese character for harmony was exhibited. One other focus from one of the announcers, that showed relationship from China with many, was with the women’s headdress looking very Indian.

Performers with paddles moved as if they were rowing ships. When the paddles were turned and put together, a display of ships were revealed on the other side. Underneath on the LED and on the screen above the audience displayed water of oceans. Whales were in the ocean showing great distance. A Chinese woman held a golden compass. To show the return of glory during the 9th and 10th centuries, women in grand and elegant dress from headpieces to gestures swayed through columns that came up from the ground that symbolized the Imperial columns which further should government support and sustenance.

Yi Mon exemplified the modern years since 1978 by the twenty-six year old, Long Long, a well-known pianist and a little girl, an upcoming pianist, performing on the LED stage. It continued by other performers light up and forming a dove flying, this symbolized in progress, as well as, peace. Then, Shun Sha Yung, a little Chinese girl rode in on a giant kite. The Chinese are known to have created and develop the kite.

Even in the commercials, China and Chinese culture were represented. One commercial showed kids taking food to a cave, out comes the dragon and blows fire into a tube, like a flash the kids are jumping around in a Jacuzzi. The next commercial focused on the Summo wrestlers advertising Lenvo PC.

Martial arts were represented by 2008 Thai Chi masters. Thai Chi was used for medicine believing that energy permeates and must be balanced. The circles of Thai Chi masters embraced a classroom of children. This was a reaffirmation that the future would be protected. On the screens, it showed images of hopeful times. Again, a delicate waterfall represented the delicate and calm Taoist philosophy. This scene led to the next when the LED displayed the galaxy with lights. Performers, tiganots, which represented China’s plan to launch a man to the moon in 2024, also represented the future and modern progress. Pop artists sang “You and Me,” meaning that things are not impossible and success is possible if done together. The whale again implied transoceanic relations, but this time topped off with giant pictures of children held by Chinese children waving them. Different ethnicities were public on the screen giving the implication that China hoped that the world would be, “One world….one dream” even though it is far from a reality now.

Although some issues maybe brought up, the stunning and electrifying opening was followed by the symbolism and hope of a better world. In my opinion, Yi Mon did an extraordinary job that was out-of-this-world. His willingness to take risks and his imagination were revealed with magnificent grace and glory. Yi Mon, his staff, and all the performers deserve honor and a place in art for the 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony. Even in the Parade of Nations, he continued his art with giant inkpads where the athletes, their representatives, and the Chinese women leading them in would leave their mark. They walked on the giant rainbow inkpads and then walked on the paper. This paper and the painting done earlier will be toured throughout the world later on.

I was tired and only could stay up to watch part of the Parade of Nations. Each nation was led in by a beautiful Chinese women dressed in red. The first nation in was Greece, but once Mexico came in, I went to sleep.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from rosanna_elgohary

It is startling the contrast of a country preparing for the Olympic games. So much time and money is spent in fixing up and adding glamour to a hosting city, or country. China outdid Greece’s benchmark for urban renewal. A high-speed train whisks passengers between Beijing and neighboring Tianjin, and express route to the airport by subway has been added, along with two more lines. Ultra-modern sports for the Olympics require special facilities. A new distinctive aquatic center, known as the “Water Cube,” the $450 million national stadium known as the “Birds Nest,” became instant landmarks. $40 billion was spent to upgrade the city’s strained infrastructure, $26 billion on transportation projects. Acceleration of China’s economy is expected to continue developing even after the games.
In USA TODAY, August 5, 2008, (p. 12c) pride is noticed when people like Cheng Li, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, says, “the world is going to be able to see the frontier in modern urban construction. This will really change the cultural fabric of Chinese urban society.” One reality that is never really focused on is the forced relocation of hundreds to make room for all the redevelopment. The protests that follow that mandatory action of moving is quickly masked by media. Also, the loss of jobs because factories are forced to close to improve air quality to reduce the pollution for the Olympic games seem to be swept under the rug. Long lasting impact is never really thought about until it becomes a problem for the government.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from mceballos

Okay, the Olympic ceremoney was AMAZING, and NPR had some great follow up interviews with local citizens, I was pleased with how they thought the historical background added to the ceremony gave their citizens a sense of pride and hope for the future of their country. Although one interviewee mentioned how some foreigners might not understand the significance. Kudos to the Chinese Olympic Committee. :-| , :-D

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from mceballos

Does anyone understand why China is trying desperately to change its image with this year's Olypmic games, when its people keeps making it difficult for any change? Take for example Yao Ming and his desperate struggle to step down from playing basketball because of his many injuries. In the article, Yao has delivered, now it’s China’s turn
By Adrian Wojnarowski, from Yahoo! Sports on Aug 10,

It was really disturbing how much Yao Ming is swimming upstream within his own country sort to speak. I wonder how much intimidation is placed in the minds of the Chinese people from the government.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from amohammed

Yes, the spectacular opening was something to watch. I thought it was interesting that the Chinese incorporated their history and culture into the ceremony along with the high tech screen/platform, the rising of the writing scroll-amazing!
NBC is doing a fantastic job of combining culture with sports. I'm enjoying watching their fashion shows and culinary lessons.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from ashapiro

As I continue to watch the Olympics, I cannot help but wonder if the Chinese are always this competitive or if they have focused more on the Olympics and their athletes in recent years because the 2008 Olympics are in Beijing. I know that the news tends to pick and choose what to focus on - so I cannot rely on NBC to answer my question. If I used NBC as my source, it would seem as if the US and China are almost the only countries attending the Olympics!

According to the following table, China only have 319 overall medals, whereas the US has 2404- so I must deduce that they are only recently concentrating on the Olympics...

http://www.olympic.it/english/medal

This site displays the overall medal count for the 2008 Summer games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from ptalreja

This is some interesting news I picked up from my friend who was at the Olympics. She said that a large number of elder Chinese took the time to learn English for the purpose of volunteering for the Olympics. She said that there were places all around Beijing where English speakers could ask about all sorts of things and their questions would be answered by elderly Chinese who never spoke English until recently. I think is a great fact that can be shared with students to ponder the power of time and Olympics as the older generation in a sense accepted the influence of Western language and ideas into their country.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from dreid

I thought that the opening ceremony of the Olympics were amazing. Just the shear precision was spellbinding. I can only imagine the level of concentration and rehearsal that went into the dance numbers. There were so many people in the dance routines and I was delighted to see them move throughout the performance without any mistakes, and to my amazmement, no markings on the floor to guide them. They were clearly in tune with each other.

Seeing the multitude of atheletes from countries all over the world gave me hope, showing that people could come together from all corners of the globe and put their differences aside for one goal.

The coverage of China and other countries during the Olympics were very interesting. I believe that most people enjoy human interest stories. We got to see a lot of modern day China and other countries, and learn more of the history of the competitors and their orgin.

China did an exceptional job with the cermonies, and it will be remembered for years to come.