You are here

Japan 2005

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
clay dube
Topic replies: 1894
Topic Posts: 604
Japan 2005

This year's NCTA tour went to Japan. This thread is for those who made the journey to share their thoughts about what they saw and experienced and for those with teaching-related questions to raise them.

The 2006 California NCTA tour will go to China and Japan.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from eshorer

No, I wasn't part of this year's trip to Japan, but I DID go on my own, after a longer stay in Ubud, Bali.
I had lived in Japan back in the late 70's, early 80's, and I have to say that I wasn't surprised by many changes. EVERYONE under 25 has their eyes glued to their cellphones as they text message 24/7. The temples are as stunning as ever, and the overall feeling of safety, albeit at the cost of giving up a bit of independent ways, was indeed welcome.
I'm attaching a pic of a new area in Tokyo, Roppongi Hills.
If you are interested in seeing more, email me at: ed@shorer.com and I'll email you a link to a photo album online.
Ed.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from tnguyen

Hi! This year's NTCA trip to Japan was fabulous! If it wasn't for this tour, I don't think I would have taken away so much in the three weeks experience if I had gone alone. The most academic rigor I had included sight seeing, cultural experience first-hand, living as a Japanese, and most importantly, learning all cultural perspectives from the people whom I had the opportunity to travel with. I can almost say that this experience revolutionalized my cultural perspectives and moreless learn how I can change some of my daily routines; from a teacher's point of view to my everyday life. It somehow reminded me the importance of my identity and put me in a different view of everything around me. All the books, the pictures, the lectures, the visuals, and etc. in class were great and I got a good picture of what it's like as a Japanese and I thought I understood their culture, BUT.......when I saw the things that were in the books, lectures, pictures, and etc, with my own EYES, it was breath-taking and almost like.....I WAS THERE and things look a LOT different when you can see it in front of you! IT is amazing, and many more words that i can't even put in writing.

I am still not done telling you about my experience, but I shall continue at a later time.....in more details....

'Til next time,

Thuy Nguyen

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from cforfar

Thuy is absolutely right, the Japan trip is a life changing experience, which in turn
offers new perspectives for teaching and learning.

I've enclosed a pic from the Gion Matsuri in Kyoto. These men are pulling one of the many wooden floats that were filled at the top with musicians playing drums and gongs. Some floats are quite colorful and thousands of onlookers crowd the sidewalks. (in modern and traditional dress)

The Gion festival began about 1300 years ago as an effort to appeal to the gods to drive out drive out a nasty plague.

By the way, great pic Ed!

Chris Forfar

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from cforfar

-front of float (drummers up above)
(note the ".com" to the left on building_
[Edit by="cforfar on Aug 31, 8:29:49 AM"][/Edit]

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from cforfar

father & son in the procession

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from cforfar

We were lucky to spend two nights in a Shingon monastery in Koyasan.
Shingon is a major school of esoteric Buddhism brought to Japan by Kukai
during the Heian period. I found the experience quite moving.

Besides beautiful grounds, delicious vegan meals and "wisdom water" (a euphemism for beer), if one got up at 5:30 AM-they could witness the Goma Invocation (Fire) ceremony.
The head priest lights bundles of sticks with the intention of the fire "burning
all sins out," or "burning worldly attachments) (symbolically)

The candlelit temple had a very low ceiling which accentuated the choral and solo chanting (priests reciting sutras.)

One surprise for me, was the degree to which Shingon incorporates Sutras, Mudras, &Mandalas) Another surprise was running across so many statues of Hindu deities among the Buddhist and Shinto Shrines all over Japan.

Omnipresent as well was the Hindu swastika symbol that Hitler stole from the Hindu's. Then again once I think about it, the Goya Fire Ceremony reminded
me of a Brahmanic ceremony I had seen in India as a teenager.

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from cforfar

Shingon monastery in Koyasan 2

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from cforfar

Shingon monastery in Koyasan 3

Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Message from rterry

I haven't been to Asia but it was great to read these posts and look at the photos you all took. I hope to be included in the 2006 trip ... it will be a life changing experience ... and I am always open for change.

Are there tips anyone can share on how to prepare the application and then for the actual trip itself?