China Brief, The Jamestown Foundation
Jamestown seeks an Editor for China Brief, a biweekly publication covering Chinese strategic, political and economic issues. The ideal candidate will have online publishing experience, with an interest and background in Chinese affairs and the Asia-Pacific. The position requires substantial research on China, using Chinese-language sources; Mandarin Chinese language proficiency is required. The position is full-time and located in Jamestown's downtown Washington, D.C. office.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Managing all aspects of China Brief's content production, including copyediting and online dissemination;
- Recruiting, corresponding with and providing editorial oversight for China Brief's network of freelance authors;
- Writing the editor's biweekly column "In a Fortnight";
- Commissioning and editing Occasional Papers related to China;
- Organizing the annual China Defense and Security Conference;
- Managing social media, conducting outreach activities and building China Brief's readership base;
- Drafting donor correspondence and aiding Jamestown's President in development activities for the China program;
- Assisting in the editorial process of Jamestown's other publications. Duties may include copyediting and research. Candidates therefore are encouraged to be familiar with Jamestown's entire publication portfolio;
- Various organizational tasks may also include: conference and event planning as well as arranging media interviews.
- BA, MA or PhD in Political Science, Asian Studies, International Studies or related field (MA preferred);
- Proficiency in Mandarin Chinese required;
- Candidate must have native speaker-level English
- Strong background in publishing and editing; familiarity with online publishing, Wordpress and web design a plus;
- Outstanding editing, organizational and administrative skills;
- Working knowledge of Asian politics required.
- Salary commensurate with experience. Position provides benefits.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume/CV and two short writing samples to Peter Wood <firstname.lastname@example.org> with “EDITOR APPLICATION” in the subject line.