Carl Minzner argues that China's reform era is ending, and outlines the potential outcomes that could result.
China Related Courses At USC - Spring 2019
USC offers a wide variety of China related courses each semester.
East Asian Languages and Culture (EALC):
- EALC-101x: Conversational Chinese and Intercultural Communication, Christopher Magriney, 2 units, T 2:00pm-3:50pm OR F 10:00am-11:50am.
- EALC-102: Language, Art, and Culture: Calligraphy, Hsiao-Yun Liao OR John Chang, 2 units, F 10:00am-11:50am OR W 12:00pm-1:50pm OR M 2:00pm-3:50pm OR T 2:00pm-3:50pm OR W 2:00pm-3:50pm OR Th 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-103A: Fundamental Chinese I, Xianxian Fang, 2 units, MW 10:00am-11:50am OR TTh 10:00am-11:50am
- EALC-103B: Fundamental Chinese I, Hsiao-Yun Liao, 2 units, M 12:00pm-1:50pm
- EALC-104: Chinese I, Xiang Jian, 4 units, MTWTh 09:00am-09:50am OR MTWTh 10:00am-10:50am
- EALC-106: Chinese II, Tin-Yu Tseng, 4 units, MTWTh 10:00am-10:50am OR 11:00am-11:50am OR 9:00am-9:50am
- EALC-108: Reading and Writing Chinese, John Chang, 4 units, MW 4:00pm-5:50pm
- EALC-110gp: East Asian Humanities: The Great Tradition, Geraldine Fiss, 4 units, MW 3:30pm-4:50pm
- EALC-125g: Introduction to Contemporary East Asian Cinema and Culture, Kerim Yasar, MW 2:00pm-3:20pm
- EALC-202: Language, Art and Culture: Calligraphy II, Yi-Hsien Liu, 2 units, M OR T 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-204: Chinese III, Xianxian Fang OR Hsiao-Yun Liao OR Christopher Magriney, 4 units, MTWTh 10:00am-10:50am OR MTWTh 11:00am-11:50am OR MW 4:00pm-5:50pm OR TTh 4:00pm-5:50pm
- EALC-206: Chinese IV, Christopher Magriney, 4 units, MTWTh 11:00am-11:50am
- EALC-304: Advanced Modern Chinese I, Xianxian Fang, 4 units, MW 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-306: Advanced Modern Chinese II, Tin-Yu Tseng, 4 units, TTh 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-358g: Transnational Chinese Literature and Culture, Brian Bernards, 4 units, TTh 9:30am-10:50am
- EALC-366: Chinese Professional Internship: Communication and Culture, John Chang, 2 units, W 6:00pm-7:50pm
- EALC-382: Art and Cultural Heritage in East Asia, Sonya Lee, 4 units, TTh 11:00am-12:20pm
- EALC-402: Classical Chinese II, Xianxian Fang, 4 units, MW 4:00pm-5:50pm
- EALC-404: Advanced Modern Chinese III, Xiang Jian, 4 units, TTH 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-407: News and Web Chinese, Xiang Jian, 4 units, MW 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-412A: Business Chinese, Hsiao-Yun Liao, 4 units, MW OR TTh 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-412B: Business Chinese, Yi-Hsien Liu, 4 units, MW 4:00pm-5:50pm
International Relations (IR):
- IR-340: The Political Economy of China, Erin Baggott, 4 units, TTh 5:00pm-6:20pm
- IR-384: Asian Security Issues, Manfred Elfstrom, 4 units, MWF 11:00am-11:50am
- IR-407: Chinese Foreign Policy, Erin Baggott, 4 units, Th 2:00pm-4:50pm
East Asian Studies (EASC):
- EASC-160mgp: China and the World, Brian Bernards, 4 units, TTh 2:00pm-3:20pm
- EASC-360: Global East Asia, Saori Katada OR Brett Sheehan, 4 units, days and time TBD
Art History (AHIS):
- AHIS-484: Studies in Chinese Art, Sonya Lee, T 2:00pm-4:50pm
Dramatic Arts (THTR):
- THTR-460: Asian and Asian American Theatre: Identity and Aesthetics, Instructor TBD, 4 units, MW 10:00am-11:50am
- HIST-106g: Chinese Lives: An Introduction to Chinese History, Joshua Goldstein, 4 units, WF 2:00pm-3:50pm
- HIST-536: Studies in Chinese History, Joshua Goldstein, 4 units, T 2:00pm-4:50pm
Akira Chiba, the Consul General of the Japanese consulate in Los Angeles, examined Japan's relations with China.
Michael Dunne, author of American Wheels: Chinese Roads, will focus on General Motors in China since 1989. The discussion will be followed by a short introduction to the Mark L. Moody collection at the USC East Asian Library.
Please join the USC U.S.-China Institute for a screening of an episode of the Assignment: China series on American media coverage of China. This episode focuses on the work of journalists covering the massive demonstrations that rocked Beijing in spring 1989. Followed by a Q&A with USCI's Mike Chinoy, who covered the demonstrations for CNN.