Panelists examined the issues driving the protests in Hong Kong, the social composition and motivations of the protesters and counter-protesters, and how the various sides are using media to reach local, mainland and international audiences.
China Related Courses At USC - Spring 2019
USC offers a wide variety of China related courses each semester.
East Asian Languages and Culture (EALC):
- EALC-101x: Conversational Chinese and Intercultural Communication, Christopher Magriney, 2 units, T 2:00pm-3:50pm OR F 10:00am-11:50am.
- EALC-102: Language, Art, and Culture: Calligraphy, Hsiao-Yun Liao OR John Chang, 2 units, F 10:00am-11:50am OR W 12:00pm-1:50pm OR M 2:00pm-3:50pm OR T 2:00pm-3:50pm OR W 2:00pm-3:50pm OR Th 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-103A: Fundamental Chinese I, Xianxian Fang, 2 units, MW 10:00am-11:50am OR TTh 10:00am-11:50am
- EALC-103B: Fundamental Chinese I, Hsiao-Yun Liao, 2 units, M 12:00pm-1:50pm
- EALC-104: Chinese I, Xiang Jian, 4 units, MTWTh 09:00am-09:50am OR MTWTh 10:00am-10:50am
- EALC-106: Chinese II, Tin-Yu Tseng, 4 units, MTWTh 10:00am-10:50am OR 11:00am-11:50am OR 9:00am-9:50am
- EALC-108: Reading and Writing Chinese, John Chang, 4 units, MW 4:00pm-5:50pm
- EALC-110gp: East Asian Humanities: The Great Tradition, Geraldine Fiss, 4 units, MW 3:30pm-4:50pm
- EALC-125g: Introduction to Contemporary East Asian Cinema and Culture, Kerim Yasar, MW 2:00pm-3:20pm
- EALC-202: Language, Art and Culture: Calligraphy II, Yi-Hsien Liu, 2 units, M OR T 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-204: Chinese III, Xianxian Fang OR Hsiao-Yun Liao OR Christopher Magriney, 4 units, MTWTh 10:00am-10:50am OR MTWTh 11:00am-11:50am OR MW 4:00pm-5:50pm OR TTh 4:00pm-5:50pm
- EALC-206: Chinese IV, Christopher Magriney, 4 units, MTWTh 11:00am-11:50am
- EALC-304: Advanced Modern Chinese I, Xianxian Fang, 4 units, MW 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-306: Advanced Modern Chinese II, Tin-Yu Tseng, 4 units, TTh 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-358g: Transnational Chinese Literature and Culture, Brian Bernards, 4 units, TTh 9:30am-10:50am
- EALC-366: Chinese Professional Internship: Communication and Culture, John Chang, 2 units, W 6:00pm-7:50pm
- EALC-382: Art and Cultural Heritage in East Asia, Sonya Lee, 4 units, TTh 11:00am-12:20pm
- EALC-402: Classical Chinese II, Xianxian Fang, 4 units, MW 4:00pm-5:50pm
- EALC-404: Advanced Modern Chinese III, Xiang Jian, 4 units, TTH 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-407: News and Web Chinese, Xiang Jian, 4 units, MW 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-412A: Business Chinese, Hsiao-Yun Liao, 4 units, MW OR TTh 2:00pm-3:50pm
- EALC-412B: Business Chinese, Yi-Hsien Liu, 4 units, MW 4:00pm-5:50pm
International Relations (IR):
- IR-340: The Political Economy of China, Erin Baggott, 4 units, TTh 5:00pm-6:20pm
- IR-384: Asian Security Issues, Manfred Elfstrom, 4 units, MWF 11:00am-11:50am
- IR-407: Chinese Foreign Policy, Erin Baggott, 4 units, Th 2:00pm-4:50pm
East Asian Studies (EASC):
- EASC-160mgp: China and the World, Brian Bernards, 4 units, TTh 2:00pm-3:20pm
- EASC-360: Global East Asia, Saori Katada OR Brett Sheehan, 4 units, days and time TBD
Art History (AHIS):
- AHIS-484: Studies in Chinese Art, Sonya Lee, T 2:00pm-4:50pm
Dramatic Arts (THTR):
- THTR-460: Asian and Asian American Theatre: Identity and Aesthetics, Instructor TBD, 4 units, MW 10:00am-11:50am
- HIST-106g: Chinese Lives: An Introduction to Chinese History, Joshua Goldstein, 4 units, WF 2:00pm-3:50pm
- HIST-536: Studies in Chinese History, Joshua Goldstein, 4 units, T 2:00pm-4:50pm
The USC U.S.-China Institute and Asia Society hosted a talk with Weijian Shan, one of Asia’s best-known financiers, as he recounts his remarkable personal story of his exile to the Gobi Desert for hard labor at the age of 15 amidst the turmoil of Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution.
The USC U.S.-China Institute and the USC East Asian Library present a screening of Daughter of Shanghai, a documentary featuring actress Tsai Chin talking about her life, scenes from the films and series she has starred in, and footage of celebrities talking about Tsai’s influence on them.