Modern East Asia
Monday, October 3, 2016 - 5:00pm to Monday, December 12, 2016 - 8:00pm
The USC U.S. – China Institute and the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA) are offering a no-cost professional development opportunity open to all K-12 educators. The course will take place at the USC campus from October to December 2016.
Application deadline: Monday, September 26, 2016
Enrollment is limited to 24 participants. Sessions will meet at USC for eight Monday evening sessions from 5:00 to 8:00pm and two Saturday sessions. Complimentary on-campus parking and refreshments will be provided.
Focusing on helping teachers address the California history, social studies, and language arts standards, we will offer presentations on the history and culture of the region, as well as discuss how East Asian case studies can be used to explore a variety of issues.
- $250 stipend
- Six (6) USC Rossier School of Education Continuing Education Units (CEUs), processing fee applicable OR two (2) LAUSD salary points
- East Asia-focused resource materials for use in the classroom
*Must complete seminar requirements.
Among the topics covered in the seminar:
- Geography and History
- Aging in East Asia
- Colonial and Postwar Korea
- China Today
- WWII and Aftermath
- Asian Cities
- and much more!
*All sessions will be held at the USC campus; Monday sessions are 5-8pm, Saturday sessions are 9-3:30pm
|Session 1||Monday, October 3|
|Sessions 2 & 3||Saturday, October 15|
|Session 4||Monday, October 17|
|Session 5||Monday, October 24|
|Session 6||Monday, November 7|
|Session 7||Monday, November 14|
|Sessions 8 & 9||Saturday, November 19|
|Session 10||Monday, November 28|
|Session 11||Monday, December 5|
|Session 12||Monday, December 12|
Apply in three easy steps:
- Submit the seminar application below.
- Mail, e-mail, or fax (listed under contact information below)
- A short resume listing your educational and work experience
- A letter or e-mail from your school principal confirming your teaching assignment
- Mail us a refundable deposit check for $50, made payable to "University of Southern California," to hold your registration; the check will be returned to you at the conclusion of the seminar or mailed back to you should you not be accepted into the program.
USC U.S.-China Institute
Attn: Asia K-12
3502 Watt Way, ASC G24
Los Angeles, CA 90089