"Finding Solutions" will focus on the work of individuals, companies, and NGOs to address some of China’s pressing challenges. We hope you will be able to join this important discussion on April 6.
Contemporary Society and Language at Fudan University
Fudan Contemporary Society and Language
The Alliance offers two academic tracks at Fudan University, Contemporary Chinese Society and Language (Track 1) and Intensive Chinese Language (Track 2). The Contemporary Chinese Society and Language Track offers courses in Chinese language plus courses in society and culture, political science, economics, and international relations taught in English.
Classes are based at Fudan's International Cultural Exchange School (ICES), which is devoted to the education of foreign students. All classes are taught exclusively for Alliance students.
Students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and to be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at an accredited U.S. institution. No prior knowledge of the Chinese language is required for admission to this track (Track 1). Chinese language classes are offered at the beginning through advanced levels.
Fall and Spring term students take 12 class hours per week of Chinese, plus two area studies courses taught in English. Summer students take 12 class hours of Chinese per week plus one area studies course taught in English. Students' placement in the Chinese language course will be contingent upon the results of a placement exam after arrival in China.
In the fall and spring terms, students receive 15 credits. In the summer term, students receive 8 credits. To view class syllabi and faculty CVs, please click "Courses" on left hand side of the page. Click here to view a full listing of textbooks and lessons by Alliance program and Chinese language level.
Classes are offered exclusively for Alliance students. Chinese language classes average 6-8 students per class.
Spring 2011 Program $12,750
Summer 2011 Program $6,980
Fall 2011 Program $13,380
The program price includes tuition and fees, pre-departure materials, guidance with applying for a visa, orientation, housing, weekly activities, all textbooks, the services of a full-time Resident Director, and medical and evacuation insurance, a one-week Field Study Trip and a weekend Field Study Trip in the fall and spring semester and a five-day Field Study Trip in the summer term. Xi’an semester and summer Field Study Trips are two weeks in length.
The program price does not include airfare to China, meals, passport and visa fees, independent travel, and other items not mentioned as included.
Multiple Term or Academic Year Discount
The Alliance encourages students to enroll for more than one term and to consider studying with more than one Alliance program. Some students choose to spend fall term in one location and spring term in another. Others continue in our summer term after completing spring.
Students who continue into a second or third term with the Alliance receive a $500 discount on the program fee for the second term. All combinations (two semesters, semester plus summer, two semesters plus summer) are possible. To discuss these options, please call 1-888-232-8379.
* Spring term: November 1
* Summer term: March 31
* Fall term: April 15
2011 Program Dates
* Spring 2011 term: February 9–June 6
* Summer 2011 term: June 15–August 15
* Fall 2011 term: August 24–December 19
2011 Summer Program
* Suggested flight departure: June 14
* Arrival in China: June 15
* Orientation program in Beijing, Shanghai or Xi'an: June 15-19
* Classes begin: June 20
* Field Study Trip: TBA
* Last day of final exams: August 12
* Students may depart: August 13
* Students must move out of housing (by 12:00 pm): August 15
2011 Fall Program
* Suggested flight departure: August 23
* Arrival in China: August 24
* Orientation program in Beijing or Shanghai: August 24-28
* Classes begin: August 29
* Field Study Trips: TBA
* Last day of final exams: December 16
* Students may depart: December 17
* Students must move out of housing (by 12:00 pm): December 19
2011 Spring Program
* Suggested flight departure: February 8
* Arrival in China: February 9
* Orientation program in Beijing or Shanghai: February 9-13
* Classes begin: February 14
* Field Study Trip:
o Xi'an: April 10-22
o BLCU and Fudan: March 12-20
o SUFE: April 9-16
* Weekend Field Study Trip:
o Xi'an: March 10-12
o BLCU: May 13-15
o Fudan: April 15-17
o SUFE: March 18-20
* Independent travel in China:
o BLCU: April 9-17
o Fudan and SUFE: May 7-15
* Last day of final exams: June 3
* Students may depart: June 4
* Students must move out of housing (by 12:00 pm): June 6
* trip dates are subject to change
Our end of the year Talking Points newsletter reports on U.S.-China notables who passed in 2017.