USC Professor Emerita Charlotte Furth discusses her adventures in Beijing teaching young Chinese scholars about America.
Call for Papers: "Migrations of Cultures" (Deadline: December 9, 2016)
- Multilingual societies and their conflicts ("language wars") and advantages
- Linguistic landscapes and their evolution
- Translation as a political tool
- Literatures of the diaspora
- Circulation of texts through multiple areas and in multiple languages
- Travel literature through the ages
- Exiles, migrants, and refugees
- Processes of acculturation
- The politics of literary prizes
- Films and the problems of cultural translation
Celebrating the grand reopening of USC Pacific Asia Museum after a year of the seismic retrofit project, the museum will present an exhibit drawn from the museum’s extraordinary collection of over 2,700 costumes and textiles from China, Korea, Japan, India, the Himalayas and Southeast Asia.