[Update, Nov.7,2017] For photos of the events, please go to: https:
Chinese New Year Celebration with the New York Philharmonic
The New York Philharmonic ushers in the Year of the Rooster with a festive concert featuring Puccini’s ravishing Turandot; beloved Chinese folk and art songs; a new trumpet concerto, Joie Éternelle (Eternal Joy); and Ravel’s immortal Boléro — which crescendos into an auspicious new year of good fortune!
Program to Include:
- Li Huanzhi: Spring Festival Overture
- Traditional: "A Little Path"
- Adam: "Ah, vous dirai-je, maman," from Le Toreador
- Saint-Saens: Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso
- Chen Qigang: Joie Eternelle (Eternal Joy), for trumpet and orchestra (U.S. Premiere)
- Huang Zi/Arr. Bao Yuankai: "Three Rose Wishes"
- Puccini: "Signore, ascolta!" from Turandot
- Li Qingzhu: "I Live Beside the Yangtze River"
- Ravel: Bolero
- Long Yu: Conductor
- Sumi Jo: Soprano
- Alison Balsom: Trumpet
- Frank Huang: Violin
- Robert Langevin: Flute
The USC U.S.-China Institute presents a book talk by Scott Tong and a unique perspective on the transitions in China through the eyes of regular people.